Friday 22 April 2016

Last discussion

Last night at work i went in early and took my notes for my final write up as i tweaked and added a few bits. A number of parents were present (whose children i teach) and were curious to know what i was writing. I explained my line of inquiry and they all became very interested in the subject, but said they had never really thought about it; one mother said she had so much trust in the teachers at the school that it never crossed her mind, having been leaving her daughter with us since she was 3 years old. I talked about the younger children and how we are no longer allowed to administer things such as plasters if a child should hurt themselves, due to allergies etc. I also explained that if a young child should become distressed in anyway, in certain environment some parents would be uncomfortable with me picking that child up to comfort them. One mother who has asked not to be named but happy to be quoted stated 'i would be horrified to know that my child had become distressed and the teacher had not tended to them by giving them a cuddle or picking them up. But perhaps thats because i am a very tactile person.' As a parent myself now i have to say i would agree with this - if and when my child attends classes i would certainly want the teacher to physically comfort her if this was needed. If a young child is in my class and begins to cry then my instinct has always been to cuddle them. I do think twice now about this and make sure i have a good relationship with parents so they can feel comfortable leaving their child in my care.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lianne,
    It's great reading how your inquiry really does mean so much in your actual practice and how your thinking has changed because of it.
    Best,
    Lara

    ReplyDelete